While there’s certainly a difference between a fault light switch and a new Tesla charging station, the principle is the same. Electrical issues have the potential to be very dangerous so they are best left to certified technicians.
Taking that initiative does require recognizing when there’s a problem. We’ve put together some common signs below.
Signs your home needs electrical repairs
- Malfunctioning outlets or switches – Have switches that don’t work? That doesn’t mean you should ignore them. Outlets that are buzzing or feel warm to the touch? Both of these are signs that something more could be going on behind the scenes.
- Appliances or outlets sparking – Jumping back each time you plug something in? That’s not a good sign. Beyond the immediate threat of an electrical fire, it can be a sign of more serious problems.
- Frequently tripped breakers – If you’re regularly trudging down to the garage to flip your circuit breakers, there may be a bigger problem at play. It could be your electrical panel, the wiring in your home, or the amount of appliances.
Why electrical repair is not a DIY job
You may be looking at a small project or a tiny repair and wondering why you can’t do it yourself. In our experience, this isn’t just a matter of saving a few dollars. The risks far outweigh the rewards from DIY electrical repairs. For example:
- Potential damages – What may seem like a minor electrical repair to you can create bigger problems, damaging appliances, your wiring, and more.
- Potential costs – When you consider the time spent and that the problem could be aggravated, a DIY repair can end up being more costly than going straight to a professional.
- Potential dangers – Without the proper training, a mishandled repair can be dangerous and risk creating other problems, like sparks leading to fires.
How Winstar’s team helps Maryland homeowners with electrical repairs
Having helped thousands of Maryland families since 1994, we know how important it is to complete electrical repairs in a timely manner. Given the urgency, we are pleased to be able to offer same-day service repairs in many situations.
Our experienced team is qualified to handle lighting repair, electrical wiring repair, electrical panel repair, and more.