While you may have plenty of appliances that have wireless functionality, your home’s wiring is as important as it’s ever been.
The truth is that for all our wireless technology, our home’s wires have gotten more advanced, too. With more than 51,000 home fires caused by electrical issues each year, it’s as important as ever to pay close attention.
Signs your wiring may be faulty
Don’t let a fire be the first time you recognize there’s a problem with your wiring. If any of the following issues have presented themselves, it’s time to call a professional electrician.
Here are a few of the signs that your home’s electrical infrastructure may have cause for concern:
- Visibly damaged wires
- Burning smells or odors coming from the outlets
- Warm wall outlets, especially if there are no appliances connected
- Circuit breakers tripping regularly
- Lights that flicker or buzz, especially when another appliance is in use
How electrical wiring technology has changed
Winstar is here to help make modernizing your home as simple as possible. We have years of experience with all types of wiring, even hybrid and electric charging stations. Here are a few changes over the past few decades you should be aware of:
- Houses built in the 50s – These houses may have an ungrounded system that would require a complete rewiring.
- Houses built in the 60s and 70s – These homes may lack dedicated circuits and may still be using aluminum wiring, compared to copper, which is more stable and durable.
- Houses built in the 80s – If your system hasn’t been modified since it was installed, your electrical panel is due for an upgrade. This will help it better handle today’s appliances.
Why choosing Winstar is the right choice for a safe Maryland home
Since 1994, we’ve helped thousands of Maryland families with their home’s electrical needs. You can count on our expertise to keep your family’s home safe and secure through wiring repair, electrical installations, and inspections, and more.